5 Reasons Traditional Taekwondo Will Grow in the Future by KJN Jong Sung Kim
In a world increasingly dominated by technology and fast-paced living, there’s a growing desire for activities that provide a sense of grounding, purpose, and connection to something larger than oneself. Traditional Taekwondo, with its focus on discipline, self-improvement, and respect for tradition, is perfectly positioned to meet this need and experience significant growth in the future.
Let’s explore the top five reasons why:
1. Growing Disillusionment with Modern Sports: Many individuals are becoming disenchanted with the commercialized aspects of modern sports, such as excessive focus on money, fame, and winning at any cost. They are seeking alternative forms of physical and mental engagement that prioritize personal growth and holistic development. Traditional Taekwondo, with its emphasis on character building and self-discipline, provides a refreshing alternative to mainstream sports culture.
2. A Desire for Community and Belonging: In an increasingly individualistic world, many are yearning for a sense of community and belonging. Traditional Taekwondo schools offer a welcoming space for people from all walks of life to connect, build friendships, and learn from each other. The shared experience of training together fosters a sense of camaraderie and belonging that is often missing in modern society.
3. Emphasis on Mental and Physical Well-being: Traditional Taekwondo goes beyond just kicking and punching. It emphasizes mindfulness, self-awareness, and a holistic approach to health and well-being. This focus on both physical and mental health resonates with a growing population seeking greater balance and stress-management techniques in their lives.
4. Preservation of Cultural Heritage: In a globalized world, cultural heritage and traditional values are often overlooked or forgotten. Traditional Taekwondo offers a unique opportunity to connect with Korean culture, history, and philosophy. By practicing this martial art, people not only learn self-defense but also gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for Korean culture.
5. Increased Focus on Self-Defense Skills: In an uncertain world, the desire to feel safe and learn self-defense skills is on the rise. Unlike sports Taekwondo, which focuses primarily on competition, traditional Taekwondo emphasizes practical self-defense techniques that can be used in real-life situations. This focus on practicality and self-protection makes it an invaluable skill for people of all ages and backgrounds.
Beyond these primary reasons, other factors further contribute to the future growth of traditional Taekwondo:
- Accessibility: Traditional Taekwondo is suitable for people of all ages and fitness levels. Modifications can be made to accommodate individual needs and limitations.
- Lifelong practice: Unlike sport-based disciplines, which often have a limited lifespan due to physical decline, traditional Taekwondo can be practiced throughout one’s life, fostering a sense of lifelong learning and personal development.
- Global recognition: Taekwondo is a recognized Olympic sport with a worldwide presence. This global recognition contributes to greater awareness and interest in traditional Taekwondo practice.
The future of traditional Taekwondo is bright. With its focus on self-improvement, community, and a well-rounded approach to physical and mental well-being, it offers a refreshing alternative to the pressures and limitations of modern life. As more people seek activities that promote personal growth and social connection, traditional Taekwondo is poised to become an increasingly popular and impactful practice in the years to come.
Yours in Taekwondo,
Chong KwanJangNim Jong Sung Kim
Chairman of the USNTA Board of Directors
Follow us on social media:
Like our page at https://www.facebook.com/USNTATaekwondo/
Join our group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/koreanmartialarts
Subscribe to our channel at https://youtu.be/zP65fFSu7vk